Dear JASV Members and Friends
For the year end of 2014, I would like to say thank you to those who helped and supported JASV and its activities during the last year. Throughout 2014, we at JASV did our best for the community outreach project and we were busy all the time, but it was a wonderful and successful year!
On April 19 of next year (2015), we will have our biennial Matsuri (Japanese Festival). Since it requires great effort, we have already started to prepare for it. We need many volunteers and hope you will join us. We will host information and requests in our website. Please keep an eye on it. Thank you very much for your continuous help.
Next year is the year of sheep according to the Japanese (Chinese) calendar. Sheep are very gentle, but strong in survival. Let's make the year of 2015 successful again together!
Have a happy new year!
Toshi Saitoh, President, Japan America Society of Vermont
2014 Major Events
- Participation in the Japanese New Year Greeting Card contest by the Consulate General of Japan in Boston, as one of the judges. (Jan 09)
- Received a grant award e-mail from Japan Foundation, Center for Global Partnership (Jan 17)
- Shin'nen Kai (New Year Party) at JASV's Office - Jan 26, Noon---4 PM
- Tenny Memorial Fund / An approval of a partial expense support for Essex and Burlington high school student trip to Japan through GATP (2/13)
- Chisai Shinbun Release (1st Quarter) to all the JASV members 3/9
- Japanese Language Intermediate Class for Children started 3/15.
- Japanese Language Intermediate Class for Adults started 3/20.
- Japanese Pottery Lecture at Shelburne Art Center (3/20, 6:30--8:00pm)
- One Day Consulate by the Consulate General of Japan in Boston at JASV Office (3/30, 10:30 am --1:30 pm)
- Japanese Culture Lecture to Children at Shelburne Art Center (4/2, 9:30--11:00 am)
- Ikebana Demonstration at Middlebury College, Haru Matsuri (4/26, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm )
- Japanese Pottery Lecture at Middlebury College, Haru Matsuri (4/26, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm)
- Participation in Sakura-Matsuri in Montpelier (4/19---4/26) : Canceled
- Open Office/Japanese Doll Display at the JASV Office (4/27)
- Participation in YMCA/Kid's Day (5/3, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm)
- Prize Delivery to the Japanese Speech Contest winners in Middleburry College and Bennington College 5/15, 5/16
- Open Office for Children (6/14, 10:00 to 12:00 am)
- Potluck Picnic and the Annual JASV meeting (6/22, noon to 4:00pm)
- Origami with Clay / Workshop at the Shelburne Craft School (6/24, 9:00 to 12:00am)
- Chisai Shinbun Release (2nd Quarter) to all the JASV members (7/1)
- July 3rd Parade Participation in Motpelier (7/3)
- Sakura (Cherry) Tree Planting Festival and Kite Flying at Dorset Park, So Burlington (Aug, canceled)
- Chisai Shinbun Release (3rd Quarter) to all the JASV members, 9/30
- Japanese Pottery History lecture at UVM, LL Center, R216 on Wednesday, 10/1, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- Annual Tsukimi (Moon Viewing) Potluck party at a clubhouse near Veterans Memorial Park (Dorset Park) in South Burlington, on Sunday, 10/5, from 5:00 pm to 9:00
- Japanese Language classes for Adults and Children
- Children: Sunday, 10/12, for 7 weeks.
- Adults: Wednesday, 10/15, for 10 weeks.
- Two lectures at CVU (Champlain Valley Union) High School in Hinesburg
- 10/23: History of Japanese Pottery
- 11/6: History of Ikebana (Japanese Flower Arrangement)
- Open Office for children at the JASV office, 11/8
- Origami Pottery Workshop at the Shelburne studio for children, 11/20.
- Prize Delivery to the Japanese Speech Contest winners (UVM) 12/4
- Participation in the annual Vermont International Festival on 12/5, 6 and 7.
- Chisai Shinbun Release (4th Quarter) to all the JASV members, 12/29
- One Day Japanese Book Library ---- Every month, first Sunday
- Otasuke Club ---- Every month, first Sunday
- JASV Kid's Club ---- Every month, 3rd Saturday or Sunday
JASV Organizational Notes:
The JASV Facebook page is a community space for JASV members and friends. If you are a participant in Facebook, visit our page at http://facebook.com/jasv.org; click "like" to include our postings on your Facebook wall.
If you would like to receive updates on the JASV calendar by email, you can join our Yahoo mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jasv/ or by sending email request to email@example.com.
in English language at http://www.boston.us.emb-japan.go.jp/
or Japanese language at http://www.boston.us.emb-japan.go.jp/ja/
If you know of any Japan-related events in Vermont, please send them to JASV at firstname.lastname@example.org.